Student use of, and login rights to, the IDeATe laser cutters are limited to those who:
- are enrolled in or have completed an eligible IDeATe course or IDeATe-approved workshop which teaches laser cutting,
- have completed the online Laser Cutter Safety module offered by CMU Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S),
- have completed the in-person Fire Extinguisher Training class offered by EH&S, and
- have completed equipment-specific safety training conducted by IDeATe staff.
If you meet all of the requirements above, you should be included automatically in the group permitted to login to the laser cutter. If you are denied access and think you should have access, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you meet all the requirements listed above. (IDeATe faculty and staff are also eligible with completion of the required safety trainings.)
When you are using the IDeATe laser cutters, you must:
- Have a buddy at all times, who is physically present in the room, remains attentive, and is capable of assisting in an emergency.
- If, for any reason, you do not have a buddy, even for a brief moment, laser cutter operation must immediately be stopped by pressing the “pause” button, and cannot resume until you have a buddy again.
- Prior to operating a laser cutter, perform a “Hot Work Check” and sign the log sheet.
- Follow all safety procedures posted around the Fabrication Lab.
- Know the location of all fire extinguishers, emergency stop buttons, emergency phone, and emergency exits.
- Be sure that you are cutting an approved material.
- Clean up after yourself:
- Clean off the laser cutter bed, but don’t try to lift the grid. If you need to get under the grid, get one of the IDeATe staff to help you.
- Throw out small pieces of scrap in the appropriate bin.
- Put scrap pieces that have uncut areas that are at least 3″ x 3″ into the appropriate (same color, same material) storage slot.